15 May, 2011

A Season Called Summer

It's the month of May, it's summer. In a tropical country like mine, it's the hottest time of the year. Hence, where the food choices are involved, there aren't many because all I crave for at those times were foods which are heat quenchers a.k.a. ice cream.

A serving of ice cream on a hot day is a real topper. May it be commercial ice cream, like those with branded names but expensive ones, sundaes being offered by fastfood such as Jollibee and McDonalds, or the kind that's being sold on the street, dirty ice cream as it's called.


Banana split by Dairy Queen: vanilla ice cream, bits of pears,
strawberries, slices of banana, chocolate
and whipped cream on top.
I've tried banana split by Dairy Queen. After a serving, it's done its purpose. I felt refreshed but I want another. Huh, better watch my diet.

Since it's avocado season, I also thought of making an avocado dessert during weekend. And with a twist, of course, because I thought maybe it's better if I add corn kernels on it. It's high noon and I'm craving for something cold on this hot day. So I have my avocado, corn kernels - the canned ones, evaporated milk, a pinch of white sugar and most importantly, crushed ice.


Avocado and corn in milk and ice
Fruits and vegetables contain liquid that our body needs. It helps to go organic during these times. Again, I go for something extraordinary, which is me, myself, preparing food for myself. It's one of my cousin's best recipe using organic ingredients and best served with Coke. It's called crabmeat and mango sandwich. I put lots of mangoes in mine because it's my favorite and also, it's mango season. Other fillings for the sandwich are cucumber, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, cheese and crabmeat. You can use whole grain or wheat bread to go with it.


Crabmeat and mango sandwich


No comments:

Post a Comment